Discussion worksheet for The Matrix. Write your answers below each question and bring this sheet to class on Tuesday.
- In general, I want you to think about how the Matrix might function as an allegory that represents political and religious systems of thought. Think about this for a second. Across the world many people have been brainwashed by totalitarian governments and religious fanatics. Is the Matrix really so different?
- Morpheus famously asks, “What is ‘real’, Neo?” What do you think? Is the Matrix real?
- How is unplugging from the Matrix similar to or different from “enlightenment”?
- Several times, the agents refer to Morpheus as a “terrorist.” Is he a terrorist? Why or why not?
- In The Matrix, the heroes are computer hackers. Read the Wikipedia entry for Edward Snowden. How is Snowden similar to or different from Neo?
- Make a list of philosophical / political questions raised by The Matrix (or not) that you care about and would like to write and talk about over the course of the semester. (Note: coming up with good questions can be hard. Take your time with this.)